Let’s be honest, salads get a bad rap. Most people think they’re boring, bland, and downright unappealing. The thing about salads are: you have to know how to make them good. This one in particular is pretty addicting. It’s loaded with sweet, tangy, and savory ingredients that give your tastebuds everything they are looking for. At the base of this salad is one of my fave leafy greens: kale. Kale is a powerhouse of nutrients that deserves to be eaten as often as possible. While it’s definitely a trendy vegetable, it’s easy to see why it’s so well liked.
For example, kale is insanely low in calories coming in at only 36 cals per cup and has 0 grams of fat. That’s what i’m talking about. As an added bonus, it is great in aiding digestion due to being high in fiber. Lastly, it is incredibly high in iron (a lot higher than steak surprisingly), vitamin K (which prevents cancer), and has more calcium than milk per serving.
Now, as we all know, even if something is good for you, that definitely doesn’t mean it tastes good. This however, is one of those times that that doesn’t hold true. This salad has a bold asian flavor that keeps you coming back for more and totally makes you forget your eating a “boring” salad. Give it a try once & you’ll find yourself whipping this up everyday. I promise.
Asian Kale Salad
- 4 cups of kale
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/4th – 1/2 cup kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes
- 1/4th cup scallions
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup of toasted almonds
- sesame ginger dressing
- Cut and wash your kale and spinach.
- After the kale is washed and trimmed short, lightly massage it with oil. (If kale isn’t massaged it may be hard to eat). Massage it for a minute or two until the entire thing is covered.
- Next, add in all of your toppings. Add the olives, carrots, scallions, toasted almonds, and sliced avocados.
- Once the toppings are on, toss the salad and add your dressing.
** I like to add some grilled tofu for a protein boost.