Hey guys! I’m back again with the second recipe for my collaboration with La Brea Bakery. This Super Bowl recipe is a PERFECT plant-based, vegan alternative to your regular game day sandwich. Yeah, even though most football parties are packed with sloppy joe sandwiches and pulled pork, why not try a healthier alternative that tastes JUST as good (or even better)?
Today I bring to you a delicious, hearty, and super filling Falafel Burger. First off, I love falafel and I love Mediterranean food. Anything ethnic I totally dig. Even though everyone says that American delicacies are the best, i’d give up cheese fries and hot dogs forever if I could have some kind of Mediterranean or Indian food.
For this recipe, I used La Brea’s Ciabatta Rolls that you can get here. These rolls are super good for this kind of sandwich. They’re soft yet dense enough to hold everything in. Ciabatta is always the way to go.
This recipe is super quick to make and comes together in under 30 minutes. Another perk is that you can blend the batter for the falafel in a food processor so there’s very minimal clean up. Quick to make and doesn’t dirty a lot of dish-ware? That’s right up my alley.
One last thing: these burgers are WILDLY inexpensive. I used to think that healthy eating was more expensive than just buying frozen junk food. Boy was I wrong. This entire recipe cost me around 7$.
Let me lay it out for you:
- can of chickpeas – 89 cents
- 1 lemon – $1
- bag of flour – $2
- bag of rolls $3
Please let me know if you give this recipe a try and let me know how you liked it. Leave a comment and let me know if you’d make it again. I’d be way excited to see if you guys liked it. Thanks for reading, appreciate it as always!
Healthy Falafel Burger
Yields: 2 big burgers or 4 small
- 1 can of chickpeas (15 ounces)
- handful of parsley
- 1/4th cup lemon juice
- 1/4th cup flour – I used whole wheat
- 2 T breadcrumbs (optional)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 T oil to cook
- La Brea Ciabatta Roll (or any other roll)
- guacamole (avocado, lemon juice, chili powder, salt and pepper)
- sliced tomatoes
- red onion
- lettuce leaves
- Place all of the ingredients above in a food processor or blender.
- Blend everything together until almost smooth.
- Once the “batter” has formed and it is able to be rolled into patties, stop blending.
- Form the batter into hamburger patties.
- Coat a skillet with oil (I used 1-2 tbsp) on medium high heat.
- Cook the patties in the skillet until they are crispy and brown on both sides.
- Once they are cooked evenly, they are ready to eat 🙂
*I topped mine with guacamole, lettuce, red onions, and tomatoes.