Oh, Healthy Chocolate Pumpkin Bread, where do we even begin? Let’s start from the beginning:
When I was in high school I distinctly remember saying to my mom “I’d rather workout twice a day than have to eat healthy”. What?? Who was I? While I was always athletic and did every sport under the sun, I remember not knowing anything about health food – at all. I fell into the trap that a lot of people do, thinking that all you could eat were chicken and broccoli to see results. Oh how the tables have turned.
Growth is a really interesting thing. Often times, you don’t notice yourself growing and changing, you only start to see it when you look back on how things used to be. See, at that point in my life, I didn’t know that things like this existed. I didn’t know that I could eat Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread for breakfast and still be included in the #FitFam. I didn’t know that healthy vegan bread was even a thing. With a couple of substitutes from your regular Pumpkin Bread recipe, this bread becomes a nutritious, delicious, and easy way to get in your daily servings of whole grains all while eating a delectable treat. If I did know, my passion for healthy & *delicious* food would have started years earlier.
One of the biggest things that helped me when transitioning on the road to a healthier diet was having nutritious snacks on hand throughout the day. I always like to keep protein bars, fresh fruit, and some kind of (healthy) baked good in the house so that when the cravings hit, I won’t reach for something crappy. This recipe fits that need perfectly. Dense enough to serve as a breakfast meal, but light enough to snack on on-the-go, this recipe will become part of your weekly meal prep in no time.
Coming in at less than 15 minutes to put together, this is something you can make at night and have ready for the next morning. It is great if you are a busy student on the go or just simply need a pick- me-up (but don’t feel like going through the hassle of making breakfast) before work.
Healthy Vegan Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
- 1 and 1/2 cups of whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose)
- 1/4 agave (or honey)
- 1/4 coconut sugar (or brown)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 4 tbsp applesauce
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a both until combined.
- Add in the wet ingredients to the mix and whisk together.
- Once everything is incorporated, grease your prepared baking pan. I used a small loaf tin that I sprayed first with olive oil so it didn’t stick.
- Pour or spoon the batter into the prepared pan, and bake at 375 for 50 minutes.
- Once a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, take it out of the oven and let it cool for 30 minutes before cutting.
- Stores in the fridge for up to a week – Enjoy!!
That’s it guys! As always, thanks so much reading and for checking out this recipe. I hope you love this Pumpkin Bread as much as I do. If you do decide to try it out, please let me know how you liked it and if it’s something you can see yourself making again in the future. 🙂